“Waves” and “Heartbeat”
The different levels in the dance and movement practice of the 5 Rhythms
“Between the head and feet of any given person is a billion miles of unexplored wilderness.” Gabrielle Roth
“Waves” is the first level in the dance and movement practice of the 5 Rhythms.
The term “Waves” refers to the wave-like dynamic of the 5 Rhythms as they evolve in their sequence from Flowing through Staccato, Chaos and Lyrical to Stillness.
At the first level, we become acquainted with the specific movement patterns of the 5 Rhythms and learn how to embody them.
In classes or workshops at the “Waves” level, we become familiar with the specific movement patterns of the 5 Rhythms that connect us in a simple, yet profound way with ourselves. This is the basis to express ourselves in each rhythm and to create our own individual dance.
In the process, we can discover in each rhythm different and sometimes unknown aspects of ourselves. Each rhythm is like a catalyst that allows us to unlock the door to our psyche and to heal it through dance.
In Flowing, Staccato, Chaos, Lyrical and Stillness we discover different and sometimes unknown aspects of ourselves. Our body, our body awareness and all experiences on a physical and instinctive level are to the fore.
Also, in a very practical way, these lessons are about being present and being in motion, with all that we perceive.
“If you don’t dance your emotions, they will dance you.”
At the level called “Heartbeat”, the second level in the dance and movement practice of the 5 Rhythms, we explore our body’s knowledge of our heart and dance with the energy of our emotions through the 5 rhyhtms.
In “Heartbeat”-workshops we explore what it means to move with the energy of our emotions.
By both experiencing and expressing through motion the many facets of our feelings, we become familiar with them. It relieves us and causes our vitality to flow. The more we become familiar with our emotions, the more it is us who decide our actions.
By developing a physical vocabulary for our emotions, we are able to better adjust them without being flooded with them.We are able to act clearly, adequately and from heart.
When we allow ourselves to be one with our emotions, we allow ourselves to be who we are and to experience ourselves in full plenitude.
In the dance and movement practice of the 5 Rhythms we deal with five basic emotions: fear, anger, grief, joy and compassion.
Emotions fulfil vital functions in our lives.
- Fear warns us when we are in danger so that we can protect ourselves. It is good to become familiar with our fear, to perceive it as a signal which we can rely on.
- Anger is an authentic reaction by which we defend ourselves, stand up for ourselves and draw our line. Exploring our anger and taking it „back to us“, we can learn how to use it in a constructive way. Anger can get us in contact with a source of vital energy that supports us to become clear and to realize our plans.
- Grief relieves us. If we suppress grief, it turns into depression and tinges our life with a sombre tone. When we are sad, our vulnerability, which makes clear what we wish and need, becomes visible.
- Joy exhilarates us, makes us happy and gives us drive. True joy always takes place immediately, in the very moment - just like the dance.
- Compassion connects us. Without compassion we feel isolated, aloof and numb. We experience compassion when we have integrated all our feelings and are open to the feelings of someone else. Compassion has nothing to do with pity nor with sentimentality. It focuses not only on improving the current condition of a fellow human being, but, above all, aims at lastingly supporting him or her.
Thinking is but of little help when it comes to feeling better. Have you ever thought your way out of a feeling? We can, however, influence our feelings with our body.